A small island at the mouth of the Wādī Tafna (Latin Siga) in western Algeria, R. is the site of the extensive necropolis of the Mauretanian Punic city of Siga and, on the southern side, of a small Punic merchant settlement dating to the 7th-5th century BC; according to the finds, there were particularly close links with Phoenician factories on the southern coast of Spain.
S. Lancel, É. Lipiński, s. v. R., DCPP, 369
G. Vuillemot, Reconnaissances aux échelles puniques d'Oranie, 1965.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Niemeyer, Hans Georg (Hamburg),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 20 October 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1018180>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510