Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Salodurum
(157 words)

[German version]

In the pre-Roman period a station on the road south of the Jura from Lake Geneva to the Upper Rhine with a bridge over the river Aare and good wharfs for trade, modern Solothurn. After the Roman occupation, S. was a beneficiarii post (CIL XIII 5170; [1. no. 130 ill.]). Out of the road post there grew a vicus , whose leading citizens (magistri vici) and village inhabitants (vicani Salodurenses) dedicated a temple to Iuppiter Optimus Maximus [1. no. 141]. The port district of the vicus was rebuilt in the 4th cent. AD as a castle (3,2 m thick walls). The medieval …

Cite this page
Walser, Gerold (Basle), “Salodurum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 24 June 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1028510>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲