A small town, nowadays insignificant, on the River Albegna in the hinterland of Volci/Vulci. According to Dion. Hal. Ant. Rom. 1,20 and Plin. HN 3,52, S. was called Aurinia in the Etruscan Period; with the institution of a Roman military prefecture after 280 BC its name was changed to S. In the 6th cent. BC, after the decline of Marsiliana d'Albegna (perhaps Caletra), the agrarian se…
Cite this page
Miller, Martin (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 18 November 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1102390>