Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 3 of 41 |

Singidunum
(183 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Thraci, Thracia | Christianity | | Coloniae | Legio | Limes | Moesi, Moesia

(Σινγίδουνον/Singídounon). City where the Savus flows into the Istrus [2] (Ptol. 3,9,3; It. Ant. 132,1) with a river port, modern Belgrade in Serbia. The site was settled from the Neolithic onwards, later occupied by the Romans, after AD 86 the headquarters of the legio IV Flavia Felix. S. was situated in the province of Moesia superior, after 169 it became a municipium, 238 a colonia. Inscriptions (CIL III 1660; 6307 f.; 6452; 145341) mention ordo, duovir…

Cite this page
Cabanes, Pierre (Clermont-Ferrand), “Singidunum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 07 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1113880>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲