Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 6 of 111 |

Strophades
(93 words)

[German version]

(Στροφάδες; Strophádes). Two small, flat, barren, uninhabited islands belonging to Cyparissia [1] (Str. 8,4,3) located 44 km south of Zacynthos in the open sea, with the original name of Plotae (Mela 2,110; Plin. HN 4,55), Strophadia ever since the Roman Period (Hierocles, Synecdemus 648,10). According to legend, the sons of Boreas turned about there during their pursuit of the Harpies (aition for the place name in Apoll. Rhod. 2,285-297).

Bibliography

R. Baladié, Le Péloponnèse de Strabon, 1980, 5f. 

Philippson/Kirsten, 541-545 

L. Ro…

Cite this page
Strauch, Daniel (Berlin), “Strophades”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 11 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1124490>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲