Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 23 of 48 |

Suana/Sovana
(183 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Etrusci, Etruria

The now almost entirely abandoned episcopal city of S. near Pitigliano, to the west of Lake Bolsena, was called Suana in the Roman period. Like the Etruscan settlement which belongs to Volci/Vulci territory, it lies on a steep-sided tuff outcrop at the confluence of two water courses. Excavations by the University of Pisa and surveys by the Tuscan Monument Authority have mainly studied the necropoleis. Two periods of prosperity have been identified, the 7th an…

Cite this page
Miller, Martin (Berlin), “Suana/Sovana”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 05 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1124750>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲