Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 118 of 281 |

Sulmo
(160 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Italy, languages

(Σουλμῶν; Soulmôn). City of the Paeligni (Str. 5,4,2; Ptol. 3,1,64), regio IV, present-day Sulmona (L'Aquila). The city became a Roman ally in 304 BC (Liv. 9,45; Diod. Sic. 20,101), municipium, tribus Sergia from 89 BC. The design of the city is orthogonal (400 × 400 m), centres of the Paeligni were located on the hills to the south around the basin of S. (cf. Colle Mitra, Piano della Civitella, Colle Tassito). Remnants of a sanctuary of Hercules Curinus were f…

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Sulmo”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 28 February 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1125390>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲