Tamynae
(168 words)

[German version]

(Τάμυναι/Támynai, also Ταμῦναι/Tamŷnai). Township in the territory of Eretria [1] (Str. 10,1,10) about 14 km to the north of Porthmus [2] at modern Avlonari, settled from the Early Helladic until the Roman Imperial period (remains of the city wall and a 4th cent. BC Doric temple). The assumption that the Persians landed at T. in 490 BC (textual conjecture on Hdt. 6,101) is untenable. Inscriptions of the 3rd cent. BC record T. as a demos of Eretria (cf. IG XII 9, 191). In the conflicts between Athens and Philippus [4] II over influence on Euboea [1], Phocion won a victory at…

Cite this page
Külzer, Andreas (Vienna), “Tamynae”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 November 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1200120>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲