Town in the Nile Delta (modern Abusir), about 50 km to the west of Alexandria  between Lake Mareotis and the sea; first recorded in the Ptolemaic period and named after a temple of Osiris (enclosure walls are extant). In the Christian period, a church was incorporated into the temple. Another large church building was discovered outside the area of the town. In addition, there are remains of a…
Cite this page
Jansen-Winkeln, Karl (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 24 January 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1200440>