(Τημένιον; Tēménion). Coastal town about 6 km to the south of Argos [II 1] with sanctuaries to Temenus, Poseidon, and Aphrodite (Str. 8,6,2; Paus. 2,36,6; 2,38,1 ff.); remains survive (to some extent under water). The long walls of Argos probably ended in T. (cf. Thuc. 5,82,5 f.; 5,83,2 on the year 417 BC).
A. Folley, The Argolid, 1988, 196
E. Zangger, The Geoarchaeology of the Argolid, 1993, 62 f.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 31 March 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1203290>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510