Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 131 of 219 |

Templum Pacis
(280 words)

[German version]

('Temple of peace'). A square (Forum) in Rome, designed and consecrated in AD 71 - after the capture of Jerusalem - under Vespasianus in analogy to the Fora of Caesar and Augustus whose nearly square, column-encircled court leads to a temple on the south-eastern side. The space between the TP and the Forum Augustum was probably kept open originally - a measure intended to avoid a direct ideological-political analogy between the Fora of Caesar and Augustus on the one hand and this new square on the other hand - but was built up into the Forum Transitorium [III 10] by the empe…

Cite this page
Höcker, Christoph (Kissing), “Templum Pacis”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 01 August 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1203660>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲