Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 19 of 29 |

Thelphusa
(161 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Achaeans, Achaea | Arcadians, Arcadia

(Θέλφουσα/Thélphousa). City in Arcadia (Arcadians) on the left bank of the Ladon [2] at modern T. on the road from Psophis to Heraea (Paus. 8,25,1-11; Hierocles Synekdemos 647,6). Remains survive of the city wall and the agora (colonnade, temple). T. was autonomous in the Archaic and Classical periods, and c. 235 BC a member of the Achaean League (Achaeans; Pol. 2,54,12). Stratus, the fortress in the west of the city, was occupied in the Social War [2] by the Aetolians and the Eleans, …

Cite this page
Tausend, Sabine, “Thelphusa”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 12 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1207470>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲