(Θυνία; Thynía). Island off the Bithynian southeastern coast of the Black Sea (Pontos Euxeinos; Str. 12,3,7; Ptol. 5,1,15; Steph. Byz. s.v. Θυνιάς), modern island of Kefken, approximately 40 km to the west of the mouth of the Sangarius. There was a sanctuary to Apollo there (schol. Apoll. Rhod. 2,684).
Cite this pagevon Bredow, Iris (Bietigheim-Bissingen), “Thynia”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 24 June 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1213140>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲