Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 131 of 281 |

Tifernum Tiberinum
(107 words)

[German version]

City in Umbria (Umbri; Plin. HN 3,114) in the valley of the upper Tiber, modern Città di Castello; no remains survive; municipium of the tribus Clustumina (CIL XI 5939; 5942). T. was connected by road to Perusia and Arretium. Nearby there is a sanctuary in the oriental style; thermae at Rignaldello. A villa of Plinius [2] the Younger was to the north of T. (Plin. Ep. 4,1; 5,6; modern Colle Plinio near Lama, Selci).

Bibliography

R. Margherini Graziani, Storia di Città di Castello, 1890

D. Diringer, Edizione Archeologica della Carta d'It…

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Tifernum Tiberinum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 09 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1213920>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲