(modern Zülpich, district of Euskirchen in North Rhine-Westphalia). Town (vicus: CIL XIII 7920; It. Ant. 373,4: vicus Sopenorum - possibly a Celtic tribal name), originally in the settlement area of the Eburones, then of the Ubii (Tac. Hist. 4,79,2). Presumably the location of a station of beneficiarii . Remains survive of thermae and burial monuments. After being destroyed in Germanic attacks in 275/6 AD, T. was fortified at the beginning of the 4th cent. AD . There is evidence of Romanic settlement until the middle of the 5th cent.
Cite this pageWiegels, Rainer (Osnabrück), “Tolbiacum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 28 February 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1216780>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲