Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Tolophon
(88 words)

[German version]

(Τολοφών; Tolophṓn). Port in western Locris (Locri [1]; Thuc. 3,101,3; Dionysios Kalliphontos 66 f.) near modern Vidavi, where remains of city walls are visible near Galaxidi. Frequent mentions of the inhabitants of T. in inscriptions from Delphi.

Bibliography

L. Lérat, Les Locriens de l'ouest, vol. 1, 1952, 50 f.; 138-145; vol. 2, 1952, passim 

Philippson/Kirsten, vol. 1, 372, n. 2 

K. Braun, s. v. T., in: Lauffer, Griechenland, 688 

G. J. Szemler, T., in: E. W. Kase et al. (eds.), The Great Isthmus Corridor Route, vo…

Cite this page
Daverio Rocchi, Giovanna (Milan), “Tolophon”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 11 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1217000>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲