Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Transaquincum
(90 words)

[German version]

Small fort, probably originating under Commodus (Not. Dign. Occ. 33,65: Transiacinco), on the left bank of the Danube (Ister [1]), linked by means of a wooden bridge with Aquincum in the province of Pannonia inferior, now near Budapest-Rákospatak. Remains of buildings, a statue of Victoria, inscriptions, tiles of the legio IV Flavia and legio II Adiutrix are preserved. In the 4th cent. AD the seat of a praef. legionis.

Bibliography

TIR L 32 Budapest, 1968, 112 f. 

Z. Visy, Der pannonische Limes in Ungarn, 1988, 84 f.

Cite this page
Burian, Jan (Prague), “Transaquincum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 19 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1218820>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲