Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Trotilum
(61 words)

[German version]

(Τρώτιλον; Trṓtilon). Greek colony on the eastern coast of Sicilia (Thuc. 6,4,1), probably to be located at modern Brúcoli, about 6 km to the north of modern Augusta. Founded by Lamis from Megara, but soon abandoned in favour of Leontini or Thapsus [1].

Bibliography

BTCGI 4, 200-204 

U. Spigo, Ricerche e ritrovamenti a Brúcoli, in: Kokalos 30-31, 1984-85, 866-868.

Cite this page
Meister, “Trotilum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 05 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1221710>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲