Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 13 of 281 |

Truentum
(93 words)

[German version]

Port of the Praetuttii in Picenum (Picentes) on the right bank of the Truentus at its mouth on the Adriatic (Ionios Kolpos; Plin.  HN 3,110; Cic. Att. 8,12b,1: Castrum Truentinum;  cf. Ptol. 3,1,21) to the south of modern San Benedetto del Tronto. At T. the Via Salaria and the Adriatic coast road joined [1]. Archaeological remains: 3rd cent. BC - 7th cent. AD.

Bibliography

1 Miller, 215.

V. Galiè, Castrum Truentum e Turris ad Truntum, 1984 

A. R. Staffa, Città romane dell'Abruzzo adriatico, in: Journal of Ancient Topography 8, 1998, 33-42.

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Truentum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 11 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1221750>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲