Navigable river in Etruria (Etrusci; Plin. HN 3,51), modern Ombrone. It rises near Saena/modern Siena, was crossed by the v ia Aurelia and formed a sea harbour at its mouth to the south of Lacus Prelius (Rut. Nam. 1,337-340; It. Ant. 500,4 f.). The place name is connected with the Tractus Umbriae, the stretch of land between Saena and Telamo originally settled by the Umbri (Plin. HN 3,51). Another U. (modern Ambra), a left-bank tributary of the Arnus, was crossed between Clusium and Florentia  by the v ia Cassia Hadriana.
Cite this pageUggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Umbro”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1224650>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲