(modern Vada). Etruscan port (Cic. Quinct. 6,24; Plin. HN 3,5; 3,8; Rut. Namat. 1,453-462; It. Maritimum 501,3 f.; It. Ant. 292,6; Tab. Peut. 4,2: Vada Volatera) on the Mare Tyrrhenum to the northwest of the mouth of the Caecina [III 1]/Cecina, settled from the 9th cent. BC. The harbour basin lay between Punta Caletta and Punta del Tesorino. Remains can be found in San Gaetano. Necropoleis, three thermal baths, remains of horrea (granaries) and of a macellum (1st/2nd cent. AD) survive in Poggetto.
Morciano, Maria Milvia (Florence),
“Vada Volaterrana”, in:
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 20 September 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1226720>