Xyniae
(149 words)

[German version]

(Ξυνίαι; Xyníai). City in Achaea Phthiotis in western Othrys, about 4 km southwest of modern X. (formerly Dauklí). X. lay 74 m above the southeastern shore of Lake Xynias and controlled the pass on the road from Lamia [2] to Thaumaci. X. was Aetolian from the middle of the 3rd cent. BC (at this time there was a definition of borders with the neighbouring city of Melitaea: IG IX 2, p. XI, no. 3), but at the end of the 3rd cent., X. was Macedonian. In 198 BC, after a massacre of its inhabitants, X. was plundered by the Aetoli (Liv. 32,13,13 f.). From 186/5 BC its territory w…

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Xyniae”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 20 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e12213850>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲