Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 107 of 167 |

Zion
(288 words)

[German version]

(Ζιών/Ziṓn or Σιών/Siṓn, fem.; Lat. Zion, masc., fem. or neutr.). The Hebrew proper noun Z. was originally the name for the citadel of the Jebusite city of Jerusalem on the southeastern karst hill above the source of the Gihon, which was conquered by David [1]. The Hebrew text explains the phrase 'Fortress of Z.' (meṣudat ṣijjōn) as 'David's City' (2 Sam 5:7; cf. 1 Kg 8:1; for the distinction from the remainder of the city cf. 2 Sam 6:10; 6:12; 6:16). After the expansion of Jerusalem under Solomon the name could also be applied to the Temple Mount (Ps 2:6; Is 2:…

Cite this page
Ego, Beate (Osnabrück), “Zion”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 26 September 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e12217440>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲