Hama 4 (4.14)
(339 words)

Commentary

This inscription along with HAMA 1–3 was one of the earliest Hieroglyphic Luwian monuments observed (1812), recovered (1872) and published (1873). It is a door-jamb bearing two separate inscriptions, A on its broad side face, B on its narrow front face. To the left of Side A, the inscription must have continued on another element now lost, which has carried away the continuation of lines 1 and 2 and the ends of lines 3 and 4; and line 4 in fact is the continuation of B line 4.

As the inscription makes clear, this doorjamb belonged to the temple of Pahalati (= Semitic Baʿa…

Cite this page
Hawkins, J. D., “Hama 4 (4.14)”, in: Context of Scripture Online, Editor in Chief: W. Hallo. Consulted online on 21 November 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2211-436X_cos_aCOSB_4_14>
First published online: 2017



▲   Back to top   ▲