Encyclopaedia Islamica

Get access

Ḥarūrāʾ
(1,235 words)

Ḥarūrāʾ is a village near Kūfa, which became famous when a large number of those opposed to Imam ʿAlī’s truce with Muʿāwiya gathered there after the battle of Ṣiffīn. The etymology of the name is derived from Rīḥ al-Ḥarūr, which denotes a warm wind. Administratively, the village belonged to the district of Kūfa, and was situated half a farsakh away from it. Originally it appears to have been built on the banks of the Euphrates or at least one of its canals, but by the 3rd/9th century, it was being described as being in the desert, which suggests that t…

Cite this page
Amin, Parvis, with additions by Stephen Hirtenstein and Translated by Mushegh Asatryan, “Ḥarūrāʾ”, in: Encyclopaedia Islamica, Editors-in-Chief: Farhad Daftary. Consulted online on 02 October 2023 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1875-9831_isla_SIM_067250>
First published online: 2022



▲   Back to top   ▲