Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936)

Get access
Search Results: | 34 of 76 |

al-Raḳḳa
(2,688 words)

, capital of Diyār Muḍar in al-Ḏj̲azīra on the left bank of the Euphrates, shortly before it is joined by the Nahr Balīk̲h̲ (ΒασίλειοΣ, Βίληχα, ΒάλισσоΣ).

The town was in antiquity called Kallinikos. Nikephorion is to be located in the same region (Strabo, xvi. 747; Isidores of Charax, in Geogr. Graeci Min., ed. Müller, p. 247; Dio Cass., xl. 13; Pliny, Nat. Hist., v. 86; vi. 119; Ptolemy, Geogr., v. 17; Stephen Byz.); but its usual identification with Kallinikos is certainly wrong and it may be a case of two adjoining towns as with the “black” and “white al-Raḳ…

Cite this page
Honigmann, E., “al-Raḳḳa”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 20 September 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_3663>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936



▲   Back to top   ▲