, or Bād̲j̲armaḳ, name of a district east of the Tigris between the lower Zāb in the North and the Ḏj̲abal Ḥamrīn in the South whose chief town in the middle ages was Kerkūk (Syr. Karkhā de Bēth Slōk̲h̲). During the caliphate it formed a district of the province of Mosul (cf. Ibn Ḵh̲ordād̲h̲beh, 97, 7). Bād̲j̲armā is an Arabic rendering of the Aramaic Bēth (Be)-Garmai while Bād̲j̲armaḳ goes back to some Middle Persian form of the name of the ¶ district, like Garmakān. The latter word comes from the Gurumu, a nomadic people mentioned ia cuneiform inscriptions, the Γαραμαĩοι of Ptolemy.
Cite this pageStreck, “Bād̲j̲armā”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 20 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_1108>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936
▲ Back to top ▲