Bād̲j̲isrā
(207 words)

, a township in ʿIrāḳ (Babylonia) according to Yāḳūt east (to be more accurate north-east) of Bag̲h̲dād, 6 parasangs = about 21 miles distant from Ḥulwān. According to Ibn Ḵh̲ordād̲h̲beh and Ibn Serapions’s more exact description it was situated on the bank of the great Ḳāṭūl-Nahrawān canal which was led from the Tigris and in the central section of it, the so-called Nahr Tāmarrā, probably very near where a cross-canal called al-Ḵh̲āliṣ left the Tāmarrā to join the Tigris at Baradān [q.v.] above…

Cite this page
Streck, “Bād̲j̲isrā”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 22 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_1112>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936



▲   Back to top   ▲