Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936)

Get access

Carmona
(316 words)

, a town in Andalusia, 25 miles east of Seville with a population at the present day of 17,000, is the ancient Roman Carmo (probably previously an ancient Iberian town of the Turdetani, but the name is not to be derived from the Phoenician kerem, vineyard, as some fanciful etymologists have proposed). As a strong fortress on a height commanding wide plains, it played a part on Caesar’s side and afterwards had the right to strike its own coins. In 712 it was taken by Mūsā b. Nuṣair and henceforth bore the Arabic name Ḳarmūna (pronounced Ḳa…

Cite this page
Seybold, C. F., “Carmona”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 22 March 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_1692>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936



▲   Back to top   ▲