Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936)

Get access
Search Results: Prev | 1 of 45 |

Telloh
(152 words)

, a site in ʿIrāḳ, consisting of a number of artificial mounds, covering an extent of 4—5 miles. It is situated on the eastern side of the S̲h̲aṭṭ al-Ḥaiy, which links the Tigris to the Euphrates, at 8—10 hours from Nāṣirīya. Here the French consul in Baṣra, Ernest de Sarzec, discovered in 1877 archæological remains. Under his guidance excavations were begun in 1880, as a result of which the site proved to be that of the Sumerian town of Lagas̲h̲ or Sirpurla. The greater part of the material excavated — including numerous statues of Gudea — was placed in the Louvre in Pari…

Cite this page
Kramers, J. H., “Telloh”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 20 August 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_5731>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936



▲   Back to top   ▲