Navarino
(2,344 words)

(a. Irūda, t. Anavarin), a seaport of the southwestern Morea [see mora ] or Peloponnesos, in Messenia, associated with modern Pylos town, which was built between 1828 and 1832 (population in 1971, 2,258), and situated behind the southern headland of Navarino Bay, a deepwater channel, as capital of Pylia eparchia ( = province) of Messenia nomos ( = diocese). Locally called Neokastron (“new fortress”) after the 16th century Turkish fortifications, it should not be confused with the 13th century Frankish Palaiokastron (“old fortress”), known to the Fra…

Cite this page
Bées, N. and Savvides, A., “Navarino”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 22 February 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_COM_0857>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲