Baḳīʿ al-G̲h̲arḳad
(683 words)

(also called D̲j̲annat al-Baḳīʿ or simply al-Baḳīʿ), is the oldest and the first Islamic cemetery of al-Madīna. The name denotes a field which was originally covered with a kind of bramble called al-g̲h̲arḳad ; there were several such Baḳīʿs in al-Madīna. The place is situated at the south-east end of the town, at a short distance from the Prophet’s tomb, outside the town-wall, now demolished, through which a gateway, Bāb al-Baḳīʿ gave admittance to the cemetery (see the map of Madīna in Caetani, Annali , ii, 173). The first to be buried in al-Baḳīʿ, from among the muhād̲j̲irūn , was ʿUt̲h̲…

Cite this page
Wensinck, A.J. and Bazmee Ansari, A.S., “Baḳīʿ al-G̲h̲arḳad”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 20 November 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_1101>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲