al-Bayḍāʾ
(159 words)

( el-beizāʾ ), “the white town (castle)”, a common Arabic place-name, designing localities scattered all over the Islamic territory. Hamdānī ( Ṣifa ) quotes four places with this name; Yāḳūt has sixteen different al-Bayḍāʾs. Most important of these is the Persian town al-Bayḍāʾ, situated in the province Fārs, N. of S̲h̲īrāz and W. of Iṣṭak̲h̲r. Its original name was Nasā. Being the chief town of the Kāmfīrūz district, it was as large as Iṣṭak̲h̲r in the 4/10th century, surrounded by fertile pasture lands. Several scholars carry the name of this place (see al-bayḍāwī ). Also al-Ḥallād̲j̲ [q…

Cite this page
Löfgren, O., “al-Bayḍāʾ”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 23 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_1309>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲