al-Manṣūra
(737 words)

, the name of a town, now in ruins, constructed on two occasions by the Marīnid sultans about 3 miles/5 km. west of Tlemcen, during the sieges of that town. The desire to control the commerce in gold from Black Africa terminating at Tlemcen was a continuing concern of the North African policy of the Marīnids and explains their efforts to control this place. The account given by Ibn K̲h̲aldūn enables us to reconstruct the history of this typical camp-town. In the year 698/1299, the Marīnid Abū Yaʿḳūb Yūsuf, who had come to lay siege to the capital of Banū ʿAbd al-Wād [q.v.], which he closely surr…

Cite this page
Marçais, G. and Shatzmiller, M., “al-Manṣūra”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 16 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_4944>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲