Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access
Search Results: | 109 of 1,363 |

al-Muwaḳḳar
(402 words)

, a place in the desert fringes of the early Islamic region of the Balḳāʾ [q.v.], in what is now Jordan, some 22 km./14 miles southeast of ʿAmmān and 16 km./10 miles northeast of the Umayyad palace of Ms̲h̲attā or Mus̲h̲attā [q.v.].

Visible there are the remains of an Umayyad settlement. These include traces of a palace, a tower which may have been part of a mosque, and signs of an extensive irrigation system in the form of sites of three dams nearby plus a fine stone-lined cistern, still much used by Bedouins of the Banū Ṣak̲h̲r for wa…

Cite this page
Bosworth, C.E., “al-Muwaḳḳar”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 25 February 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_5679>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲