al-Nahrawān
(787 words)

, a town and canal system in the lower Diyālā (Tāmarrā) region east of the Tigris River in al-ʿIrāḳ. The lower part of the canal may have been originally the lower course of the Diyālā and irrigated the land east of Ctesiphon, where fan like settlement patterns in the Parthian period already suggest the existence of branch canals. In the 6th century A.D., a major canal system was created by the Sāsānid ruler K̲h̲usraw Anūs̲h̲irwān (531-79) who dug a long feeder canal, the Ḳātūl al-Kisrawī, from …

Cite this page
Morony, M., “al-Nahrawān”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 17 November 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_5760>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲