Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access
Search Results: | 7 of 46 |

al-Ṭawīla
(215 words)

, a town and district ( ḳaḍāʾ ) lying to the north-west of the main town of Yemen, Ṣanʿāʾ [q.v.], about 55 km/34 miles as the crow flies, and at the summit of D̲j̲abal al-Ḳarāniʿ at the height of 2,400 m/7,870 feet. It overlooks the area of al-Maḥwīt to the west and Ḥarāz to the south. Josef Werdecker (A contribution to the geography and cartography of North-West Yemen , in Bull , de la Société Royale de Géographic d’Egypte [1939], 139) placed the town in 15° 30’ latitude and 43° 42’ longitude.

Wilson ( Gazetteer , 223-4) can find no reference to the town before 607/1210. He suggests tha…

Cite this page
Smith, G.R., “al-Ṭawīla”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 02 June 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_7458>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲