Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access

al-Zaḳāzīḳ
(870 words)

, conventionally Zagazig , a town in the east of the Nile delta of Egypt, 90 km/55 miles to the northeast of Cairo. It is now the chef-lieu of the S̲h̲arḳiyya province, and in 1998 had almost 270,000 inhabitants.

The town was founded in the first third of the 19th century on the baḥr Muwīs, a canal following the ancient course of the Tanaitic branch of the Nile. The Egyptian ruler Muḥammad ʿAlī Pas̲h̲a [q.v.] entrusted to a specialist hydraulic engineer, Aḥmad al-Bārūdī, the construction of six dams on this canal and its branches, in order to irrigate the S̲h̲arḳiyya …

Cite this page
J.-M. Mouton, “al-Zaḳāzīḳ”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 20 October 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_8096>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲