Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access
Search Results: | 72 of 221 |

Ard̲j̲īs̲h̲
(405 words)

, a small and ancient town situated on the north-eastern bank of Lake Van, which in the Middle Ages was still called the Lake of Ard̲j̲īs̲h̲. Its existence seems to be vouched for since the Urartaean period, and more expressly by the Graeco-Roman geographers. It was occupied for a time by the Arabs during the time of ʿUt̲h̲mān, but remained an integral part of the Armenian principalities up to the 8th century A.D.; from 772 onwards, it was incorporated into the Ḳaysite emirate of Ak̲h̲lāṭ [q.v.]. In the 10th century A.D., it belonged to the Marwānids, but about 1025 it was taken…

Cite this page
Cahen, Cl., “Ard̲j̲īs̲h̲”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 28 March 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_0718>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲