Bād̲j̲arwān
(150 words)

, (1) A town and fortress in Mūḳān (Ād̲h̲arbāyd̲j̲ān) lying S. of the river Aras (Araxes), between Ardabīl and Bard̲h̲aʿa in Arrān. Bād̲j̲arwān is mentioned several times in the accounts of the Muslim conquest. Its capture by al-As̲h̲ʿat̲h̲ b. Ḳays al-Kindī seems to have been the signal for the final collapse of resistance throughout the province (Balād̲h̲urī, Futūḥ , 326). It was occupied by Saʿīd b. ʿAmr al-Ḥaras̲h̲ī during his campaign against the Ḵh̲azars in 112/730 (D. M. Dunlop, History of the Jewish Khazars , Princeton 1954, 72-74). After the Umayyad period Bād̲j̲arwān …

Cite this page
Dunlop, D.M., “Bād̲j̲arwān”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 19 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_1006>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲