D̲j̲aʿbar or Ḳalʿat Ḏj̲aʿbar
(592 words)

, a ruined fortress situated on the left bank of the middle Euphrates, almost opposite Ṣiffīn. Also called Ḳalʿat Dawsar from the name by which this locality was known in the pre-Islamic period and in the early days of Islam (Pauly-Wissowa, iv, 2234: to Dawsarōn , which explains the Arab traditions connecting this name Dawsar with the king of al-Ḥīra, al-Nuʿmān b. al-Mund̲h̲ir), it was described by ancient Arabic authors as a stopping-place on the route leading from al-Raḳḳa to Bālis (Ibn K̲h̲urradād̲h̲bih. 74; al-Ṭabarī, iii, 220). In t…

Cite this page
Sourdel, D., “D̲j̲aʿbar or Ḳalʿat Ḏj̲aʿbar”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 18 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_1892>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲