Ḥad̲j̲ar al-Nasr
(492 words)

(“the rock of the vulture”), a fortress founded by the last Idrīsids [q.v.] in a natural mountainous retreat, placed by Ibn K̲h̲aldūn among the dependencies of the town of al-Baṣra [q.v.]. Its site has now been identified in the territory occupied by the small tribe of the Sumatra, east-north-east of the Moroccan town of al-Ḳaṣr al-Kabīr (Alcazarquivir). It is reported to have been known also by the name of Ḥad̲j̲ar al-S̲h̲urafāʾ. In 317/929-30 the Banū Muḥammad, expelled from Fās after the assassination of their prince, the…

Cite this page
Deverdun, G., “Ḥad̲j̲ar al-Nasr”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 20 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_2596>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲