Ḥawīza
(145 words)

, also known by the diminutive Ḥuwayza , town situated in the swamp country east of the Tigris between Wāsiṭ and al-Baṣra. It apparently also lent its name to the surrounding area. The original town was supposedly founded by S̲h̲āpūr II, and was later rebuilt in Islamic times by one Dubays b. ʿAfīf b. al-Asadī during the reign of the Caliph al-Ṭāʾiʿ (363/974-381/991). Thus the town is not mentioned by any of the early geographers. The population included many Nabataeans, presumably bearers of the orig…

Cite this page
Lassner, J., “Ḥawīza”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 24 February 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_2814>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲