Ḳaṣr ibn Hubayra
(274 words)

, town in ʿIrāḳ. Situated half way between al-Kūfa and Bag̲h̲dād, the town was founded by Yazīd b. ʿUmar b. Hubayra, the last Umayyad governor of ʿIrāḳ (Balād̲h̲urī, Futūḥ , 287; Muḳaddasī, 53, 115, 121, 130; Iṣṭak̲h̲rī. 85; see also Ibn Ḥawkal, 166, ed. Kramers, 243; Yāḳūt, Muʿd̲j̲am , iv, 946 (confused with Madīnat b. Hubayra: Reitemeyer, Die Städtegründungen der Araber itn Islam , Leipzig 1912, 49). The site should not be confused with Madīnat b. Hubayra, which was situated closer to al-Kūfa, where the same Yazīd began building until forced to abandon the site b…

Cite this page
Lassner, J., “Ḳaṣr ibn Hubayra”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 15 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_3997>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲