Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access
Search Results: | 13 of 39 |

K̲h̲urramābād
(264 words)

, chief town of the s̲h̲ahristān of the same name in the Iranian province of Luristān ( ustān 6), situated in long. 48° 21′ E., lat. 33° 29′ N.; population of the s̲h̲ahristān (1966): 259,000, elevation above sea-level: 4,700 feet.

The town is first mentioned under its present name in the 8th/14th century by Ḥamd Allāh Mustawfī, who states: “this was fine town, but it is now in ruins” ( Nuzhat al-ḳulūb , 74). To the south-east of the town, along the banks of the K̲h̲urramābād river, and also to the south-west, are remains dating from the time when the site, then kn…

Cite this page
Savory, R.M., “K̲h̲urramābād”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 24 October 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_4340>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲