Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access
Search Results: | 310 of 1,363 |

S̲h̲ims̲h̲āṭ
(200 words)

, a mediaeval Islamic town in eastern Anatolia/western Armenia. It lay, at a site whose definite location is unknown, on the left bank of the southern headwater of the upper Euphrates, the classical Arsanias, modern Murad Su. Its location was, according to Yāḳūt, Buldān , ed. Beirut, iii, 362-3, between Bālūya (modern Palu) and Hiṣn Ziyād or K̲h̲artpirt [q.v.] (modern Harput), and it is not to be confused with Sumaysāṭ [q.v.] on the Euphrates further south. It was in the borderland between the Arabs and the Greeks, and possession of it must have oscillated between…

Cite this page
Bosworth, C.E., “S̲h̲ims̲h̲āṭ”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 25 January 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_6945>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲