Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access
Search Results: | 5 of 5 | Next

Wādī Ās̲h̲
(635 words)

, a town of al-Andalus, modern Guadix, now in the province of Grenada [see gharnāṭa ] 60 km/37 miles northwest of the province’s capital, chef-lieu of a partido judicial and seat of the diocese of Guadix-Baza, with a population of ca. 20,000, perhaps twice what it had in Islamic times.

The name goes back to a pre-Islamic toponym, perhaps Iberian, Acci , rendered Ās̲h̲ by the Arabs, prefixed by the element Wādī [see wādī. 3.], applied not only to the town and the river on which it stood but also to the surrounding region. Sometimes the forms Wādī ’l-As̲h̲ā(t) and W. Yā…

Cite this page
Alvarez de Morales, C. and Pinilla-Melguizo, R., “Wādī Ās̲h̲”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 26 November 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_7799>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲