Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition

Get access
Search Results: | 67 of 1,363 |

Walwālīd̲j̲
(248 words)

, Warwālīd̲j̲ , a town of mediaeval Ṭuk̲h̲āristān, in what is now northern Afg̲h̲ānistān, mentioned in the Ḥudūd al-ʿālam , tr. 72, 109, as the ḳaṣaba or administrative centre of the province. It lay on the road from Balk̲h̲ and K̲h̲ulm [q.vv.] to Ṭālaḳān and Badak̲h̲s̲h̲ān [q.vv.] between the confluence of the Dōs̲h̲ī (Surk̲h̲-āb) and Ṭālaḳān rivers, whose united stream then flowed into the Oxus. It seems to be the A-hua of Hiuen-tsang, attesting to its existence in pre-Islamic, Hephthalite times. E.G. Pulleyblank suggested that the element wal-/war-reflects the name of the Cent…

Cite this page
Bosworth, C.E., “Walwālīd̲j̲”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs. Consulted online on 09 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_SIM_7855>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004161214, 1960-2007



▲   Back to top   ▲