Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics

Get access

Saint-Victor’s Abbey in Paris
(701 words)

In 1108 Guillaume de Champeaux, a master in the cathedral school of Paris, founded a hermitage dedicated to St. Victor on Mount St. Geneviève, on the left bank of the River Seine. Five years later, by an act of Louis le Gros, the monastery became an abbey and its members regular canons. Later in the 12th century, the abbey of St. Victor became an important center of learning and a place where a specific school of Bible exegesis was followed. The method consisted of literal exegesis. The literal …

Cite this page
Olszowy-Schlanger, Judith, “Saint-Victor’s Abbey in Paris”, in: Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics, Edited by: Geoffrey Khan. Consulted online on 12 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2212-4241_ehll_EHLL_COM_00000628>
First published online: 2013
First print edition: 9789004176423



▲   Back to top   ▲