'AMĀRAH TOWN
(1,004 words)

عماره

[return to Geographical Dictionary terms]

This important and rising town of Turkish'Irāq, not to be confounded with Kūt-al-Amārahكوت الاماره, is situated upon the left bank of the Tigris about 130 miles by water above Basrah and is distant some 30 miles from the Turco-Persian land frontier: it is the chef-lieu of the Sanjāq and Qadha similarly named in the Wilāyat of Basrah.

Site and buildings.—'Amārah stands on a strip of land enclosed on the west by the Tigris and on the north and east by the Jahálah canal; while to the south of it, but at some distance, are the marshes of the Āl Bū Muhamm…

Cite this page
“'AMĀRAH TOWN”, in: Gazetteer of the Persian Gulf, Oman and Central Arabia Online, Edited by: Brill. Consulted online on 22 September 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2405-447X_loro_COM_040035>
First published online: 2015



▲   Back to top   ▲